There are a few ways to de-power your Miata power steering rack. Most people just remove most of the fluid and loop the lines together and call it good.
The proper way to do this involves removing about 3 lbs of internal components, cleaning the rack and then properly welding one of the internal components to eliminate the torsion bar slop that is left. Mig welding or even basic Tig welding is not the answer here. We use the proper type of welder and appropriate weld material to safely work with the internal components and not make them brittle. Most guys also don't protect the bearing when welding and end up making the entire situation worse due to the amount of heat the bearing ends up absorbing adn then not spinning as freely.
The MiataCage service for this includes the following:
- Dis-assembly of the entire rack.
- Ultrasonic cleaning of all the internal rack parts and cleaning of the exterior housing.
- Removal of all power steering related components in the rack.
- Welding internal components to eliminate the play.
- Re-assembly with high performance race lubricants, grease and plugs.
The benfits of de-powering the steering rack is that you end up with a Manual style rack that has more precise feel than the power versions as well as reducing the weight a little and removal of un-necessary lines and hoses.
The price includes the following:
- All necessary plugs (6).
- Race Grease
- Special assembly lube to reduce friction.
- Shipping back to you in the continental US.
If you wish to proceed with this service, please remove the inner tie rod ends and boots to vut down on your shipping cost and send to the following location:
MiataCage - 5705 NE 105th Ave - Unit G - Portland, OR 97220